05 May 2014

Jhuma Basak's workshop in Ranan: records and responses

Dancer, choreographer and psyhoanalyst, Jhuma Basak, conducted a two-day workshop entitled 'Kinesthetic Movement Patterns' for members of the Ranan Repertory and guest participants on 1 and 4 May 2014.  Here are some images and responses...


Jhuma demonstrates a choreographic exercise with Debashree and Rhea
[Photos by Amlan Chaudhuri]
This workshop was the first in a series of four which we will host at our workspace during the four months of summer training for the Repertory. Email us at rananindia@gmail.com for more details of future workshops and events. 



Jayati Chakraborty
(Ranan core group and Repertory member)


I am very much afraid of creating something....... as I feel I have less vocabulary to choreograph any movements.............

But today apart from all the things that I learn the most important thing which I want to share is that when she said 'Manjusree di foot ball khela thekeo movement niten' [Manjushree-di used to take movemets even from football]. This really gave me the energy and the thought that if I wish I can create my own vocabulary. So any kind of normal movement can get transformed into dance movement, may be that's what abstraction is.............. this I think will help me to open up my eyes and thinking process. 

Amader Charidhare prachur movements, khop khop kore dhare phelle i hoy..................... 
[There are so many movements all around us. All we have to do is grab hold of them...]



Rhea Das
(Ranan Repertory member)


Workshop at 'Ranan' was one of the experiences which I just can't forget because the experience of learning the art of story telling with the abstract movement of one's body to tell a story and without even speaking a word was something very new to us. Jhumadi was a great instructor for this kind of art, she is the person who is experienced in this form of art of art that we never even imagined! 


Although I am a classical dancer and an active member of this theatrical group called 'Ranan' this whole concept was so new to me, and to see and learn such a form of art from an experienced person like her was one of my lifetime’s experiences. It is actually amazing when your body movements are abstract, but it tells a story that you want to show the whole world. You get a feeling of content, and each and every move is appreciated by viewers. This kind of feeling is so awesome.



Susmita Chakrabarthy
(Guest Participant)


Honestly I really thought it was a workshop on poetry. Then I observed participants changing to tracks. I was puzzled,,, but beginning to get a hunch. Then I met Jhuma. I was intrigued. As a teacher she exemplified infinite patience. Moreover she is so passionate about her work. She has humour and charisma. She showed compassion to me as I was a lard and a deterrent. The other talented participants were incredibly kind. The workshop was like a journey of self -discovery. I REALLY ENJOYED MYSELF. KUDOS TO RANAN FOR ORGANISING SUCH VENTURES.!!!

Jhuma's message
Jhuma writing a message on the Ranan pillar


No comments:

Post a Comment